These days it’s much easier to buy bitcoin with a credit card than it used to be in the past. Chargebacks have been mitigated through anti-fraud companies, and more companies allow credit cards as an acceptable payment option. However, it’s important to note that this method is more expensive than other ways that don’t allow chargebacks like cash or wire transfer.
Without much ado let’s take a look at four exchanges that allow users to buy bitcoin with a credit card.
How to buy bitcoin with a credit card on LocalBitcoins
LocalBitcoins is a peer to peer marketplace where one can buy and sell bitcoins. Think of it like eBay. The website offers a wide variety of BTC sellers that accept different methods of payments including credit cards.
The critical thing to note when using this platform is you have to filter sellers wisely to avoid getting scammed. Make sure you view a seller’s reputation and profile information before conducting business. However, since you are new on the platform also, not all sellers will be willing to do business with you since they are afraid of getting scammed as well.
The platform offers some advantages including a wide variety of sellers as well as a user-friendly interface.
The main disadvantage is that sellers will take higher fees for credit cards due to the risk of getting scammed.
Step by step guide
- First of all, sign up on localBitcoins.
- Go ahead and search for a seller that accepts credit card for payment. However, since there is no worldwide search, you will have to shift through different countries.
- Ensure that you verify the seller has earned a good reputation and also read the terms of the trade.
- Enter the amount of BTC you want to buy and click on send trade request.
- Make sure you follow any additional requests that the seller makes.
How to buy bitcoin with a credit card on Coinbase
Coinbase crypto exchange is the largest bitcoin broker in the world. It boasts over 20 million users around the globe. It’s also available in 32 nations. The exchange charges a 3.79 percent fee on all credit card transactions which is favorable compared to other platforms. Whenever a user buys bitcoins worth more than $100 they get a bonus of $10.
The platform offers some advantages including relatively low fees, a user-friendly interface and an established reputation.
On the other side it’s not available worldwide, and also the support takes time to respond.
Currently, Coinbase has cut off credit card purchases for US customers, but they have access to debit cards.
Step by step guide
- Start off by creating an account on Coinbase
- Go to the settings page, scroll to the payment methods and then click the Add Payment Method.
- Click on Credit/Debit Card
- Enter your card information.
- Once your card is confirmed, proceed to Buy/Sell and buy your BTC.
- The coins will be sent to your Coinbase wallet.
However, it’s important to note that credit card purchases of BTC are charged an extra 3.99 percent processing fee. To be able to connect your card, you will need to verify your identity by uploading an ID issued by the government.
How to buy bitcoin with a credit card on Bitpanda
Bitpanda is a crypto exchange that is based in Austria which was founded in October 2014. The platform allows users to buy bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies through a variety of ways including credit cards, Skrill, Neteller, SEPA and more.
For credit card purchases, the daily limit for verified accounts is 2,500 euros (75,000 euros a month). But, for other payment options, the daily limit is 10,000 euros (300,000 euros a month).
The advantage of using Bipanda is that it offers relatively low fees and has multiple payment options. However, it’s only accessible to EU citizens.
Step by step
- Create an account on Bitpanda
- On the home page click on the buy tab and select BTC.
- Then chose the payment method which in this case will be Visa/Master card
- Enter the amount you want to buy.
- Click on Next where you have to confirm your identity if you haven’t already done so.
How to buy bitcoin with a credit card on Coinmama
This exchange specializes in bitcoin purchases using a credit card. They charge a premium fee for their services. However, they do not set a limit on the number of bitcoins you can buy. A user receives the bitcoins instantly after the purchase is confirmed.
The platform offers some advantages including fast service, good support, and the company is respectable.
Step by step guide
- First of all, you will need a bitcoin wallet as the exchange doesn’t hold the BTC for you.
- From the homepage, choose the number of bitcoins you would like to buy. Then enter the price either in USD, EUR or BTC. Alternatively, you can select one of the packages they offer.
- Then click buy BTC where you will be taken to the sign-up page.
- After filling out the initial details, you will have to go through an additional verification by submitting a photo ID. (verification can take 2 hours).
- After being verified, you can buy bitcoins easily with your credit card. Master card and Visa present the fastest options.
- Next, enter your bitcoin address.
- Finally, proceed to enter your payment details and place your order